Sushi rolls are so simple to make yet most of us think they are too hard. Well, I’ll tell you what – I’ve been a sushi making machine lately, with this gluten-free vegetarian sushi roll recipe being my latest creation.
A few weeks ago I found myself with half a cucumber and no motivation for a salad but the thought of biting into something refreshing and healthy. Well… I quickly thought… it was time for rolling!
(BTW, I put “Sushi” in quotations because there quite literally is no fish in this roll!)
Vegetable "Sushi" Roll
- 1 cup Japanese short-grain rice
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 3 tbsp gluten-free sushi rice vinegar *Make sure to buy one labeled "gluten-free"
- 1 avocado, sliced into strips
- 1 cucumber, sliced into strips
- 1 carrot, sliced into strips
- nori sheets
- Rinse rice with water until drain water runs clear
- Place rice and cold water in a rice cooker and cook
- Place rice in bowl then slowly add vinegar (gluten-free) while mixing the rice. Flatten rice in one thin layer to help it cool quicker
- Set aside to cool in room temperature. Keep rice covered with a damp cloth while preparing
- Place a sushi mat on a clean flat surface. Place a sheet of cling wrap on top
- Place a thin layer of rice on top of cling wrap, gently press it with a bamboo spoon then top it with a nori sheet.
- Carefully slice avocado, cucumber and carrot.
- Roll the bamboo mat starting at the edge while pressing it firmly. Continue until it reaches the end of the bamboo mat